Able Oaks Alpaca Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my alpaca pregnant?

Go down

Is my alpaca pregnant? Empty Is my alpaca pregnant?

Post  bracolcas11 Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 pm

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this  Embarassed 
I have a Male and a female alpaca. the female is about 5 or 6 years old and the male is about 2-3 years old. The female has never had a baby before nor has the male ever bred before. We have been told the male needs to be 4 or older in order to successfully breed, so we have had them in the same pen as they also grew up together.

But over the last month or so I have realized that my female has become a lot heavier ( and a lot more interested in food ), she spits off the male whenever he gets near, and she spends quite a bit of time humming and peeing. I have read that these are all signs that the alpaca is pregnant. We grabbed her out of the field today and we felt her stomach and it is really hard, not squishy like if you poke your arm, but hard as in poking the bridge of your nose. LOL  Laughing Laughing  these are the only similarities I could come up with. She does not have a bag of milk or anything though (I'm not sure if an alpaca bags up or not when pregnant). But anyways, back to my original question, does it sound like she could be pregnant? If so, how soon?

Thanks so much for reading!

bracolcas11

Back to top Go down